ic2

Home to Amarillo

Amarillo is home to the historic Route 66, the infamous Big Texan Steak House, but more importantly a community of people looking to better their city for the coming generations. Coming back to Amarillo as a student on the cusp of adulthood has allowed me to see this community for all that its worth, which couldn’t have been possible without the Home to Texas program.

Before taking part in this program, I viewed my community through selfish eyes, thinking only of what it could offer me. At the time, I didn’t think there was much to offer. With the Home to Texas program, I have had the opportunity to meet and discuss with leaders in Amarillo while also interning at a local business that is striving to successfully serve the community and expand.

Meeting and discussing with local leaders has shown me how far the Amarillo community has come, and where it is aspiring to go. I have learned about the successes that are greatly celebrated, the pitfalls that serve as lessons, and more importantly, how both situations do not define the success of a given community. The community is defined by its persistence and tenacity to continue to strive for a better community than what existed yesterday.

My internship at a local business has shown me how core values are applied to the workplace and how those values impact the clients that the business serves. I have observed this in the interactions between the staff and clients, colleagues, other community members, and businesses.

Both of these experiences have shown me the depth of my community, and has allowed me to view my city as a place full of opportunities to serve those around me. I wouldn’t have had this opportunity without the Home to Texas program. I am very grateful to be a part of the Home to Texas program and am excited to watch it continue to grow in the coming years.

Click here to read more blogs from the IC2 Institute.