ic2

The Day in the Life of a Home to Texas Summer Intern

Kristin Biggs, Advertising Major at Moody College of Communication
Boerne Community, Placement at Prytime Medical Devices

Home to Texas Program 2021Student Blog

Hey Y’all! My name is Kristin Biggs, an Advertising and Business student at UT Austin, and this summer I’ve had the privilege of interning for Prytime Medical Devices in Boerne, TX as a part of the Home to Texas summer internship program. Through Home to Texas, I have been able to obtain my first internship as well as my first formal job. This has been infinitely informative and challenging, but most importantly, rewarding…let me tell you how!

Here’s a small look into my typical day as both a Home to Texas and Prytime intern!

7:00 AM: This is when my day begins! (Okay…maybe at 7:15 after the snooze button has been pressed). As I get ready for work, it’s always important to me to wear something more formal, opting for slacks, a blouse, and heeled black sandals. Working in an office after being unable to have in person interactions for the past year, it’s always nice and satisfying for me to look formal for a day’s work.

8:30 AM: After arriving at the office (a renovated residential home along Boerne’s mile-long main street), I say “Hi” to my coworkers (Many of them comment on how it’s nice to have a younger person in the office and that I offer some great perspective, with my most notable teachings being about Canva and TikTok). Taking a seat at my desk, I always sign into my email first thing to make sure I am on track with my tasks for the day and respond to any incoming messages or requests.

9:03 AM: 3 minutes after 9 o’clock, the company’s executive team has their daily huddle, everyone going around in a circle to share their tasks and questions, making sure everyone is equally informed on the projects and deadlines going on within our company. During this time, I observe, take notes and make sure to pay special attention to any projects I am involved with. This allows me to master how professionals communicate in addition to giving me a clearer understanding of how problems are resolved within a company and how every role and department is integral and interconnected.

10:00 AM: Since Prytime is a medical startup that specializes in the REBOA catheter, a catheter that uses a unique inflatable balloon technology to occlude large vessels, I have extensive online product and quality training to meet the government regulations to work here. During this time, I complete a few modules involving reading and taking certification quizzes to move towards full training requirements. Although these training modules were long and dense, it’s important to understand that this information is in the interest of quality and government compliance, making it just as necessary as it is time-consuming.

11:00 AM: After working on training and preparing my overall agenda for the day, I am emailed or approached by my colleagues if they need any help with their current workload. As an intern, adaptability, availability, and flexibility are key. I am to fill out jobs and offer extra help to employees daily. This means your jobs normally change from day to day in addition to having consistent projects. Working on these projects is often very satisfying as I have done many important jobs ranging from creating a marketing plan alongside the VP to working on tax auditing papers with the accounting department. All of these hold an integral role within the company and allow me to feel valued within my position. Additionally, I make sure to send out correspondence to potential interviewees in the morning in order to give them the whole workday to respond. Asking in advance is especially important when interviewing community leaders to be respectful of their time. Although emailing may seem like a skill that is easy to master, learning how to introduce yourself and communicate your message is important in a professional environment and takes practice. Through Home to Texas, emailing Boerne leaders and residents became somewhat second nature to me, cultivating a lifelong professional skill.

12:00 PM: Lunchtime! This is the time where I can explore local food options here in Boerne (I thoroughly recommend both Mary’s Tacos and Boerne Epicure Gourmet Market!).

1:00 PM: During this time in my day, I continue my ever-changing project as well as having one of my weekly supervisor meetings. This time is used to manage my projects for the week in addition to making sure I am comfortable with these tasks. I also make sure to ask my supervisor any questions I may be having. Having this time allows me to grow comfortable with reporting to someone directly and to make sure I get any guidance that is needed.

3:00 PM: Depending on the day, I often have interviews sometime after 3 in the afternoon. Whether I’m going down to the fire station, the library, or turning on my laptop to zoom a community member, I spend a great deal of time capturing data for my overall project. Interviewing community members in the end goal of my overall data collection for the IC2 Institute has allotted me to build connections with Boerne’s most influential. Their opinions, comments, and ideas allowed for such a great perspective to be built for me, as I learned concerns for Boerne’s booming growth and their satisfaction with the small-town culture that has grown to be “proud, supportive, and dynamic” (according to a few interviewees).

4:00 pm: After my interviews, I allot time during my workday to upload the audios to Otter.ai, the transcription and cleaning system used by all the student researchers. Taking my time to clean and correct any misheard transcriptions, I proceed to upload my Qualtrics form to ensure my data is delivered to the IC2 Institute.

5:00 pm: Time to go home! After a day of communication, problem-solving, and interviewing, my day as an intern has finally come to a close. I’m ready to decompress and relax when I get home, and most importantly get ready to do it all again tomorrow!

I encourage other UT students to explore this opportunity and re-experience your hometowns through the internship!

Find the Home to Texas 2021 Student Blog Series below:

1. Intro: Developing Future Community Leaders Today
  2. The Day in the Life of a Home to Texas Summer Intern
  3. Herd Immunity Starts at Borders: Brownsville’s Maquiladora COVID-19 Vaccine Effort
  4. Eye-Opening, Confidence Building: Working with Port Arthur, Beaumont Area Leadership
  5. Internship Renews Commitment to Hometown of Tyler, TX
  6. Home to Texas Internship Leads to an Eye-Opening Juneteenth Experience
  7. Coming Soon
  8. Coming Soon

For more information on the Home to Texas program or how to support future leaders in communities across Texas, please send a note to info@ic2.utexas.edu.

Support the Home to Texas Program with a gift and support communities and future leaders!