Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Erhan Kutanoglu earned his Ph.D. in industrial engineering from Lehigh University in Pennsylvania in 1999. He joined the faculty of The University of Texas at Austin in 2002. He received a Faculty Early Career Development Award from the National Science Foundation that same year.
Dr. Kutanoglu specializes in applied operations research regarding manufacturing and service logistics and supply chain management. He develops solutions to service logistical problems where repairing, recycling and stocking of parts provides after-market service to geographically-dispersed customers. This research allows manufacturing companies and the U.S. military to achieve cost savings through better decision-making in warehousing and distribution, which increases overall service readiness and minimizes costs. He is also collaborating with other college professors to streamline semiconductor manufacturing. The manufacturing time (or “cycle time”) for semiconductor wafers is typically about 10 to 12 weeks, but they only require 2 weeks to actually process. Kutanoglu’s goal is to reduce disruptions of overall plant performance by developing models for them. To develop his models, he uses mathematical modeling as well as game theory. He hopes to develop a unifying theoretical framework that encompasses both fields and connect the system-level optimization with the distributed decision structure.
- V. Jeet, E. Kutanoglu, A. Partani, “Integrated Network Design and Inventory Stocking for Low-demand Parts: Modeling and Optimization”, IIE Transactions, Vol. 41, (2009), 5, pp. 389-407
Most Recent Publications
- Zarifoglu, E., Hasenbein, J., Kutanoglu, E., “Lot Size Management in the Semiconductor Industry: Queueing Analysis for Cycle Time Optimization,” IEEE Transactions On Semiconductor Manufacturing, (2012), pp. 1-8
- Y. Cai, J. Hasenbein, E. Kutanoglu, M. Liao, “Single-machine Multiple-recipe Predictive Maintenance,” Probability In The Engineering And Informational Sciences, (2012), pp. 1-30
- R. Basten, M. van der Heijden, M. Schutten, E. Kutanoglu, “An approximate approach for the joint problem of level of repair analysis and spare parts stocking,” Annals Of Operations Research, (2012), pp. 1-25
- I. Iyoob, E. Kutanoglu, “Inventory Sharing in Integrated Network Design and Inventory Optimization with Low -Demand Parts,” European Journal Of Operational Research, (2012)
- Cai, Y., Kutanoglu, E., Hasenbein, J., Qin, J., “Single-machine Scheduling with Advanced Process Control Constraints,” Journal Of Scheduling, (2011), pp. 1-15
- V. Jeet, E. Kutanoglu, A. Partani, “Integrated Network Design and Inventory Stocking for Low-demand Parts: Modeling and Optimization,” IIE Transactions, Vol. 41, (2009), 5, pp. 389-407
- F. Tanrisever, E. Kutanoglu, “Forming and Scheduling Jobs with Capacitated Containers in Semiconductor Manufacturing: Single Machine Problem,” Annals Of Operations Research, Vol. 159, (2008), 1, pp. 5-24
- E. Kutanoglu, M. Mahajan, “An Inventory Sharing and Allocation Method for a Multi-location Service Parts Logistics Network with Time-based Service Levels,” European Journal Of Operational Research, (2008)
- E. Kutanoglu, “Insights into Inventory Sharing in Service Parts Logistics Systems with Time-based Service Levels,” Computers And Industrial Engineering., Vol. 54, (2008), 3, pp. 341-358
- D. Lohiya, E. Kutanoglu, “Integrated Inventory and Transportation Mode Selection: A Service Parts Logistics System,” Transportation Research – Part E, Vol. 44, (2008), 5, pp. 665-683